Thursday, June 23, 2016

A Thousand Hills to Heaven

This Monday started the week off right. Besides trying out J Lynn’s, a hidden café that sells bagels, one of my VCU professors, Dr. Jamison, came to visit another VCU student, Megan, and me. After talking for a bit during our one hour lunch break, we quickly made arrangements to meet up again for dinner. Megan, Katie (our roommate), and I made our way to Heaven, a local restaurant ran by an American couple, to meet with Dr. Jamison. We sat down in the charming little restaurant and had a great dinner. Alongside our beef fillets and Japanese plum sorbets, we exchanged great conversations about our experiences in Rwanda. I wanted to share a few topics that we talked about.

1. Changing genocide ideology
When I first brought up the topic of going to Rwanda to my family, they all were in shock. “YOU, out of all people, want to go to RWANDA? Did you not hear about the genocide that happened there?” Before coming here, I do admit that I’ve been quite spoiled. It’s inevitable when you were born and raised in the suburbs of Washington, DC. I’ve also heard of the genocide and yes, I did watch the infamous Hotel Rwanda before coming here. However, with an open mind, I convinced them by telling them how eager I was to go and how much I wanted to help improve health care. I’ll be honest and say that I was a bit nervous coming to a different country alone. Like many others, I wondered how the genocide had affected the country as well. Indeed, I was scared for any crimes that may happen when I got here. However, after being here for three weeks, a lot of my initial perspectives have changed. Living with the locals have made me realize how much stronger Rwanda has become post-genocide. For example, there is the Reconciliation and Unity Village. At the village, each house has a prosecutor, survivor, and refugee living there in order to spread forgiveness and create harmony amongst those affected by the genocide. Dr. Jamison also talked about how a man confessed to a woman that he had killed her entire family. The woman forgave him. It’s amazing to see how much effort is being put into forgiving and trying to rebuilding the country. There are also many signs around Kigali that say “Fighting genocide ideology.” Rwanda has definitely grown stronger after the genocide. Everyone I’ve met has been so friendly and welcoming. I hope that more people will be able to visit Rwanda and see how peaceful this place is.

2. Expanding horizons
During our dinner, Dr. Jamison talked about the hotel having a broken AC. He continued saying: “I can’t believe I was that guy who would complain about having no AC!” It made me think about my own experiences. The first night here, I took my first cold shower. I remember biting my lip as I held the showerhead above my head. After spending three weeks here, I’m happy enough to even have running water now! I’ve gotten used to taking cold showers and actually started to enjoy them. I don’t really mind not having AC either since the weather here is absolutely gorgeous. The temperature is highest mid-80s and drops to mid-60s at night. Also, there is low humidity every day! It’s definitely a nice change from the hot and humid weather in DC. If I could take anything back home, it’d be the weather. I’ve assimilated nicely into this new culture and I am happy. I’ve noticed that I don’t really use my electronics that much either, unless I’m contacted family and friends. One of the many things I’ve learned here is to live simply. I realized that I don’t need fancy electronics or constant internet access to keep myself happy.

3. Where’s the trash???
Ever since I got here, I’ve been constantly amused by how little trash, let alone trashcans, there is on the street. There are these gutters that can be up to 5 feet deep on the side of every road to probably catch the water during the rainy season. Since it’s the dry season right now, there’s nothing there. There will be an occasional lady in there sweeping the dirt away though. I also learned that plastic bags are outlawed in Rwanda. I think about what will happen if America decided to outlaw plastic bags…I’m pretty sure the roads will be even more littered than it already is! I don’t even know where all the trash at my homestay goes to. I know that they burn their trash…but where does it get stored in the meantime? If anyone can answer my question, please let me know. J

Dr. Jamison, Megan, Me, and Katie enjoying our dessert at Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment