Sunday, June 19, 2016

This week's adventures!

This week started off a bit shaky for me. On Sunday, I woke up in a cold sweat and with a huge pain in my stomach. I believe it was due to eating in the jeep during the safari. There was dirt flying all over the place so there was no way for me to fully clean my hands. The bacteria on my hands must have upset my stomach. I spent the day in shivers but I tried my best to power through it. I decided to go into mu mugyi (“town” in Kinyarwandan) with two other girls to buy fabric. We entered into a few fabric stores until I found the perfect one. I chose a lavender and dark purple/burgundy colored fabric and decided to make it into some cool harem pants and a maxi skirt. After class on Monday, five other girls and I went to the tailor in another town. We got measured and was told to come back in one week. I'm very excited to see how my pieces turn out! I will post a picture of them as soon as I get them. :)

On Tuesday, the same girls decided to go into town again to explore the shops around the street where the tailor was. However, we all became impatient waiting for the bus and decided to go into mu mugyi again. Some bought groceries at the nearby super market. One of my roommates and I were both starving and suggested to stop by Bourbon Coffee. We both ordered iced caramel macchiatos. I also ordered some meatballs...which were delicious. The coffee and the food was so on point! We then made our way back to our homestay where we played a few rounds of "Hide and Seek" with the children and house maid. It was very funny because my second roommate was called "Creepy" by one of the children because she hid very well! We then ate dinner and got ready to go to bed.

On Wednesday, one of the students and I went to a cafe after class called Inzovu African Village. There were many pieces of artwork on display from paintings to handmade pouches. After enjoying some iced coffee and a juicy burger (that I thought was better than the burger at Bourbon Coffee), we purchased a few gifts for our friends and family there. My friend and I felt as if we hit the jackpot for souvenirs because the items for sale were beautiful, but cheap!

Delicious food from Inzovu African Village

Thursday was our weekly hospital lab. Half of the group went back to Kubagabaga Hospital to finish fixing some pieces equipment from last week whereas the other half that I was with went to C.H.U.K., another local hospital. This hospital was a teaching hospital where students are trained to become health professionals. We first took a tour of the technician working area. I noticed that there was a lot of broken equipment laying around. According to the head technician, most of the pieces haven't been touched for a very long time. However, this hospital had better funding than Kubagabaga so getting any extra equipment/pieces was easy. The hospital was also more organized when it came to keeping records of repairs. After the tour, we started fixing equipment. One group looked at a patient monitor whereas my group looked at a suction machine. Although we found the problem for the suction machine, we weren’t able to find a replacement part.

Chucking up the deuces with Grace at C.H.U.K.

Seflies at our hospital lab

Friday consisted of class and preparing for my weekend trip with half the group. On Saturday, we went to Nyungwe Forest National Park to do the canopy walk! It was beautiful up there. We trekked for about 30 minutes before we got to the shaky bridge. On the bridge we saw a beautiful landscape of the rain forest. Although I slipped and got mud all over myself, the views made it all up.

Holding onto dear life at the canopy walk

Beautiful view from our guest house over the weekend


On top of the world with Bre!

No comments:

Post a Comment