Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Last Days in Kigali & First Days in Byumba

Hello internet! I am back. I apologize for not posting recently! These past couple of days have been very hectic for me. Last week was the final week where we will all see each other until the end of July. I wanted to spend my time talking to them before we all parted ways. We also had a very busy schedule the week as well. On Thursday, we had our final hospital lab. My partner and I started off with looking at the Doppler probes used to monitor fetal heart rate. I had to smear gel on the probe in order to get an accurate reading. I related to expecting mothers for a bit when they complain about how cold the gel was! I got very excited when I was able to hear my heartbeat. We weren’t able to fix the probes because we would have ended up destroying the casing. My partner and I decided to help another group with an infant incubator. We were told that the fan was not working so we decided to open up the incubator. Upon opening, we found a dead rat inside! We quickly took it out and cleaned out the fan. After cleaning out the fan, it was time for our lunch break. Everyone went to Meze Fresh, which is the Chipotle of Rwanda. It is to die for! After lunch, we headed back to the hospital. My partner and I ended up fixing a wheelchair and a patient bed. We were so happy to be able to fix so many pieces of equipment in one day.

Me trying to find my heartbeat with the Doppler probe...The gel was really cold!

Petek and I not practicing safety precautions on the wheelchair we made!

Catching some rays on the fixed patient bed.

Selfies with the rat hiding in the infant incubator.

For our last Kinyarwanda class on Friday, our teacher, Francis, took all of us out to a local market so we can bargain in Kinyarwanda. We put our skills to the test. I was able to buy 2 mangoes for 600 francs (less than $1 USD) with my roommate! We were very excited! We ended up giving the mangoes to our homestay family as a little thank you gift. They all were very happy to know that we bought the fruit in Kinyarwanda! We ended up sharing the fruit after dinner. The mangoes were the best mangoes I’ve ever eaten. They were a sweet way to end the week!

On Saturday, it was Umuganda, which is a community service day that happens once a month in Rwanda. My homestay dad took my roommates and me to the neighborhood behind IPRC to see an administrative building being built. He told us that there was no government funding for the building and it is all community service. I was surprised to see so many people from the neighborhood coming together to help with the construction work. After Umuganda, the group met up to go to Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village to teach the students there how to build an optical heart rate monitor. At the village, there were over 1,000 students, all coming from rough backgrounds. The village was originally built for kids who are “vulnerable.” Originally, this was meant for children who suffered from the genocide. Now, it is open to children who need the most help ranging from financial issues to domestic problems. When I went there I was so amazed by all the students there. They were all so driven and such fast learners. My partner and I taught them how to solder that day. After 10 minutes, they were all experts! The students I worked with also talked to me about how they all wanted to be engineers. They further explained how they wanted to “be the change” and become empowered women in a male-dominated field. They also talked about how they wanted to help Rwanda grow by serving the community. It was very refreshing to see these students being motivated to work hard. It made me want to work harder so I can be a better role model for them. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for such bright individuals!

With the students from Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village and a BMET student from IPRC.

Sunday was our final day in Kigali. Before moving out, I gifted the homestay kids some toys to play with. My two roommates also gifted them candy and games as well. Both of the girls were so happy to get the presents! One of my roommates gifted the father a towel with “Texas” embroidered into it. After taking many pictures, we made our way to the Incubation Center, where we would all be sent off to our cities. It was a very bittersweet moment for me. I was excited to go off to Byumba to finally fix medical equipment but also very sad to know that everyone will be separated. However, I know that we will all see each other over the weekends! After all of our goodbye hugs, Petek and I were off to Byumba!

Our first day of work was a little bit rough. Petek did not feel too well and I wasn’t feeling like my peppy self. We also were not able to fix any equipment on the first day. We left the hospital feeling bummed out. After our first day, we searched up a bunch of manuals and emailed plenty of manufacturing companies to help us out. Tuesday was a lot better for us. We had a big breakfast and walked into the hospital feeling more motivated. We quickly sat down to look at the oxygen concentrators and infant warmer that stumped us yesterday. We also picked up a broken microscope from the laboratory. By the end of the day, we were able to fix the infant warmer and locate the problem with the microscope and the oxygen concentrator. Both of us felt so accomplished! The feeling of finally fixing equipment makes me feel so excited for what else I can do.

Thumbs up for our first fix! :)

The beautiful Byumba sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment